Sunday, March 20, 2005

Visu's "Arattai Arangam"

I happened to see one more great episode yesterday. It is certainly one of the greatest things that has happened to TamilNadu and to India in general. For people who donot know about this serial, it is actually a Stage show conducted by Visu (Short for Viswanathan, who is a well known Cinema figure in TN...he used to take a lot of family-life oriented moviesearlier). In this show he portrays people from a varied background. You can see an old lady from Dindigul, and a school boy from Rameswaram all talking in the same show.

It is a talk show, where there will be a generic (ya, I am a software developer) topic, and people will voice their views on it. So far I have seen "n" number of disadvantaged people, "n" number of economically downtrodden people, "n" villages and "n" children benefit from this serial.

As I see each and every episode, I gain hope in life and in mankind in general. I have seen a person who is paralysed hip below, but has written a great software program called "Azhagi" which translates english to tamil. I have seen a young girl get awards and medals in almost all fields, and recently was selected to participate in a karate contest in Germany , but was unable to go because of economic problems....had she been to that contest, we would have probably seen another "Sania Mirza" of Karate in her...who knows?

I see a man who speaks of how his lover got killed in a Bus Burning incident in TN, and reformed himself, and decided to set up an orphanage in memory of his killed lover.

In this serial I have seen mountains being moved, rivers being created, and most of all, a smile on a poor mans face.

It is from this serial that I got my signature which says "Society is not destroyed by the action of a few rascals. It is destroyed by the inaction of the remaining good people" - said by Swami Vivekananda.

I would like to pay my salutations to Visu for having done a marvellous job. I am not finding words to praise you and your arattai arangam.

Also, I want to specifically praise the way he carries himself in the talk show. He has never raised a controversy ever ... though this is such a show where controversies can be as easily created as lifting a finger. To me, he seems like a very unbiased and balanced person. Kudos!!!

Great going Visu sir. Keep continuing the good work!!!

Your fan.
cb.

3 comments:

Woodworm said...

I was not a very great fan of Arattai Arangam because sometimes a few people seem to talk just for the heck of it - and make issues too simplistic - I especially do not agree that things like "nation building" etc get a good treatment here.

But, I definitely loved to see a few episodes where people with strange, incurable diseases, ailments and difficulties in life - speak about the way they rebuilt their lives, courageously fight them etc. When you hear such things from people who have actually undergone such difficulties, it is mighty inspirational..

Moments like these.. make you forget the trivialities of the show when they happen.. I think the show at least touch people at the individual level, even if it may fail at the societal level...

Whoiscb said...

@Shashanka : "Arattai" - Chat , "Arangam" - A gathering, a show etc.

Anonymous said...

I thought Arangam is more like place(of gathering) as in hall.