Thursday, March 10, 2005

All in a name

Coming to think of it, why do people have such big names? I wouldn't mind a smaller name at all :)

I am being called "Bala" by most of the people, which is sort of wrong. It is just an adjective, "Bala" just means "Young". Once u attach it to "Subramanian" only then it gets a meaning which means "Balasubramanian", i.e "Young Subramanian".

I am atleast better off than my friend Lakshminarainan. Yes, it is "Lakshminarainan" with the shpelling msitaek. Some nomenclature, his parents tell him. I pity thee woodworm.

All along I thought I was the only one who was suffering from this trouble, until I met my friend dear Venkarasubramanian Ramachandran, whose name is so long it had to be truncated while forming his official email id. Oops....sorry about that.

Some of my friends were lucky enough to be called Kumaresan or Vasant or Hariprasad...

The trouble starts when you are asked to enter your email login, your tarantella login, your windows login, your online files login, your official support login etc etc, when you have to type balasubramanian.chandrasekaran@mycompany.com every time :(

Hence I have decided that I am not calling my son/daughter with a name more than 8 characters long :)

I remember an email chain I read sometime back, where there was a guy who was called Parthasarathy, and there went his chances with girls. How do you expect to increase the list of your friends who are girls ;) , if you have a name like that? They will probably send you an invite to perform in the next Carnatic Music Festival that is held in Mylapore.

"Baaolar" is how my friend from US calls me :(. If such a simple 4 lettered "Bala" is so tough to pronounce for the people abroad, how the hell can I make him pronounce "Subramanian" :(

He will probably end up calling me "Baaolarshobromoiniyan".... noooooooooooooooooooooo

3 comments:

HP said...

You blew woodworm's cover :).

The paratha sarathy story was originally from this bloghead and relentlessly htmlised javascripted and smtped into an email forward.

http://sidin.blogspot.com/2004/05/travails-of-single-south-indian-men-of.html

Your son / daughter is still going to be called <8-character> balasubramanian. Plan for your grandchildren :). CB is still better than names like Button (ask Subbu this). Why would you want to call yourselves a button ?

Whoiscb said...

@Bhavani : Thank you. I will surely hunt a bridegroom with a small name in case I happen to have a daughter ;)

Kumari said...

:) i have been through it too...just that i have always had fun with my name!
coz even if ppl can't remember it, pronounce it , spell it, they never forget me, as i am the dame with the LOOOOOONG name :)

My son/daughter is going to have one helluva of a fundoo, unprounceable by normal stds, 'tamizh' name :)