Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Racism

The news channels seem to be full of the Shilpa Shetty Racism issue. I read this article and I thought of blogging about it as well. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6265127.stm

"
The trio also complained that Shilpa had touched other housemates' food with her hands.
Danielle said: "You don't know where those hands have been."

After so many thousands of years of civilisation, are we truly educated? Seeing the remarks that have been made against the actress I am full of sympathy for her.

We saw what happened in France a few months ago. The movie "Crash" was well directed and brought out a lot of important facts.

Looks like Racism is there to stay.

The more one is educated and the more one is wealthy, the lesser he cares about all else. Especially about fellow humans. Arrogance in one's race and lack of confidence on the part of the oppressed race, is the root cause for Racism.

But the oppressors do have a reason to be arrogant about.

Do we Indians not foolishly try to imitate the west in all we do?
Do we Indians not look upto them?
Did Vivekananda gain praise because he preached in Kanyakumari or in Los Angeles?
Did the Bhagavad Gita get notice because of us or because Einstein had some good things to say about it?
Did the Vedas Gain prominence because of Max Muller or because of Ved Vyasa?

I request all Indians to just think about this. Let us stop looking up toward the westerners for each and everything in our life and take pride in our own culture and tradition.

Confidence in oneself will automatically eradicate Racism. If all races are very self confident, there is no question of Racism.

I request Shilpa to stay calm in this situation and act like a matured Indian. We Indians are too matured to react to this kind of silly childish remarks. Please know that in this issue you have my fullest support.

5 comments:

Sarah Hashim said...

Hi
I found your blog through the main article on aol about Big Brother heres the article if you are interested
http://entertainment.aol.co.uk/big-brother/celebrity-big-brother-the-view/article/20070118105309990013

Anyway I totally agree with what you are saying I'm from the UK and I am a big fan of big brother (well was till now), but I am an even bigger fan of Bollywood my husband is Asian Bangladeshi he got me into them and they are great alot better then western films I think. Anyway I'm going of topic excuse me lol well I think its disgusting the way Shilpa is being treated and even more disgusting is the fact the nothing is being done about it and no one will admit that it is Racism.
I'm not sure if you get to see the show in India cos I'm not to sure they broadcast it out of the UK, but I have to say Shilpa is amazing she is dealing with it great and I will be definitely voting for her to win as will millions of other people in the UK.
Jade Goody is a bully she was in Big Brother previously its how she got famous and the first time she was in the house she constantly bullied another housemate Sophie at that time and I think it was because she was pretty and I think the same thing is happening now Shilpa is stunning the way she looks and dresses and the way her manner is she is high class Jade Goody is nothing she hates that I think.
Sorry about my spelling and punctuation and such I have been a bit obsessed about the whole thing and have been typing about it all day lol.
But if you want to chat about it more in depth my email is sarah555666@gmail.com.

Sarah Hashim said...

crap sorry the link to the aol article wont post properly for some reason

Whoiscb said...

Hi Sarah,

I tried emailing you but I did not get a response (the email bounced...are you sure the email id you haves specified is correct?)

In any case, thanks a lot for posting your views. I am full of appreciation for what you think. Very nice to see some sensible remarks. A single rotten apple ruins the basket. Likewise, the acts of some people seem to bring a bad name to the whole society.

Cheers
cb

stephenhacking said...

nice post cb, but it does lack some depth if i had to stress on that.
Racism doesnt exist just in western countries, if you want to see racism in full bloom u can see that in our country too..
If you know what im talking about :)
Having confidence in ones own self is different and correcting oneself before whining about others poking fun on you is important. What Indians should stress on is take this as a cue and end all forms of racism prevailent in our own country

cheers,
ashwin

Whoiscb said...

@stephen - If you are talking about the caste system, then that is a separate topic.

Yes, we do fight within our country. But there is a slight difference between Caste system and Racism. The two generally tend to get confused these days due to a lot of misunderstanding of the Varna Dharma.

It is like this:
Consider a Pomeranian Dog and an Alsation Dog. If the Alsation dog mocks the Pomeranian dog, it is Racism. If the Pomeranian dog, tends to separate its clan into White Pomeranians (White signifies Purity -Brahmins), Red Pomeranians (Red Signifies Valour - Kshatriyas), Yellow Pomeranians (Yellow signifies prosperity - Vaishyas) and Black Pomeranians (Black signifies service - Sudras), it is Casteism.

I used those colours specifically because that is the colour of the Tilak we wear on our forehead. White Vibuthi. Yellow Chandan. Red Kumkum. and Black Bhasmam.

We tend to confuse Varna Dharma with Racism today because of a lot of confusion over our philosophy and misplaced interests. Anyways, that is a separate topic of discussion altogether.

But last but not least, Yes, what you say is correct in the sense you say it. Oppression in any form (be it Racist or Caste-ist in nature, should be banned and stopped).

cb