Monday, December 05, 2005

Vulgarity in Indian Cinema

I had wanted to blog about this for a long time...I will also write other articles, but let me start off with a song from a Tamil Cinema. I donot wish to translate it because I feel highly embarassed to even put up that lyrics here in Tamil. Instead of putting forth my opinions on this first, I thought I will show one example first, and then continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Egipthu Raani onakku edhukku dhaavani from Narasimha

Egipthu raani, onakku edhukku dhaavani
Enakku nee dhaan irukka edhukku thalagaani
Karuppu singam siricha neruppu pathikum

Irumbu nenjam thorandha kurumbu thothikkum

Hey ganja poondhottam
onna roja poovaasam
adi vaasam paathu mosam ponene
On meesayil ulla mudiadhu ellam yaana mudi

Adhil modharam senju podanum kai mela

.....

En veera, Un pera pacha kuthipen
Engennu nee sonna anga kaamippen
En bhoomi Un vaayil thenaa thithipen

Ennoda mundasa onna suthipen
Rendu dharava dhaaan samanja ponnu naan

Kannaaaal thechaye

Panju mullaye sela katti nee moodi vechaye...
Oru aan yaana dhaan on kayile ullasama oonjal aadum

Egipthu raani, onakku edhukku dhaavani
Enakku nee dhaan irukka edhukku thalagaani

.....

Pooven un mundhanai chinna koodaram
thenoorum un thoppul kutti paadhalam
muththathal seivoma niththam malyudhdham

appoppo vaayoram singa pal kuthum

Roma illadha dheham rendu dhaan meenum neeyum dhaan
Enga engayo enna thottadhu neeyum kaathumdhan
Adi Un naakile En perayum naa ezhudhava muththathaala

Egipthu raani, onakku edhukku dhaavani
Enakku nee dhaan irukka edhukku thalagaani
.....

If I were to sing this song, I would certainly be embarassed. I might perhaps refuse to do so.


2 comments:

Venkat said...

If we start like this, we might have to stop singing songs at all :). Almost all songs are like this-and they pop up in songs you dont expect.

Whoiscb said...

There are so many meaningful songs in Tamil. If I just take some of Kannadasans classics , they will make you shed tears of appreciation. Are there no more Kannadasans? Is all we write about just filled with sex?

Is the situation so bad, that we have to either sing songs about sex or not sing at all?