Monday, January 24, 2005

Non-Violence

Yesterday, we had a shoot out at Hyderabad and one TDP MLA, Mr. Paritala Ravindra had died in that incident. This cause a lot of tension throughout the city, and buses were burnt and transportation had come to almost a standstill. Today the TDP has called for a bandh.

While I read all these news items I came across one particular article which put a drop of tear on my eye.

Quoting it here:

"
Dudekula N Mahbub Basha, 33, the Armed Res-erve constable who was killed in the Paritala Ravindra shooting, was a reluctant gunman. He was a part of the 10-man security team provided to the TD legislator about six weeks ago. Basha was on leave to celebrate Bakrid and rejoined duty only on Monday.

“He had worked as gunman for Payyavula Keshav. He was reluctant to work for Paritala but had to obey orders,” his wife Sajida told Deccan Chronicle. Basha and Sajida were married 10 years ago. “My two daughters are orphaned. Who will take care of them,” she wailed.Basha, recruited to the police in ’91, was from a police family. His father, M Peeran, was a constable, as are five of his six brothers, including himself. The family came from Teli-ki village near Yadiki mandal headquarters, brother Vannurappa said.
"


When I put myself in the place of the wife of this constable, my whole world seems to come crashing down on me. Sometimes I wonder why some men are so violent in nature. I definitely donot have an answer to it. Circumstances - Some may say. I too agree to that, because if I were the son of the Constable who was gunned down, I too might want to shoot the guy who shot my father at the first available opportunity. I cannot for sure say that I will resist that anger within me.

All I feel is pity for the dead and the wounded. When a tiger does not eat a tiger, when a dog does not eat a dog, why should man eat man? I do agree that humans are the most complex creatures to understand, but the bitterness towards this kind of a violent behaviour remains. My question is this - Will that person who wanted to take a revenge, feel good about it after he takes the revenge? Will he, in all his senses be happy to see a woman widowed? Two children orphaned? A mother robbed of her son? These are the questions which I feel a man should answer before he picks up the gun. Is that tear on all the above mentioned people really worth it?

Perhaps the only answer to human misery is non-violence. But the most "neglected" essential attribute of a "HUMAN" (that differentiates him from a demon) is non-violence.

No comments: